Whether you're a first-time home buyer or an experienced real estate investor in the Winston Salem, Greensboro and the surrounding areas it's always a good idea to brush up on your real estate know-how before you begin your home search. This will ensure that you are an informed buyer, prepared with the knowledge and equipped with the tools to make a confident home buying decision.
Take a look at some of our Frequently Asked Questions common among the Winston Salem, Greensboro and the surrounding areas home buyers. If you're still wondering about some things or you're ready to get started, feel free to contact us at any time.
Home Buyer Frequently Asked Questions
- Organize and review your finances. Set a budget and figure out what you will be able to afford for a down payment. Use our handy mortgage calculator to see what a monthly mortgage payment might look like for you.
- Start exploring the many communities in and around the Winston Salem, Greensboro and the surrounding areas to see which might be best for you.
- If you're a first-time buyer, you might want to get more information first!
- Take some time to decide what's important to you (proximity to amenities, school districts, yard sizes, noise, commute, highway access.) This will help you find a neighborhood.
- Review home features you might want and those you'll need, from size to style to overall condition. Having a good idea of what you're looking for will save you time and tours of homes that don't meet your criteria.
- Browse our Forsyth County featured listings, or start searching homes by amenities and features.
- A good agent can guide you through the financial and legal complexities of the Triad real estate process.
- A local agent will be the Winston Salem, Greensboro and the surrounding areas expert and can provide vital insight into its neighborhoods and communities.
- An agent can help you find the right price range for your income and finances and can explain the pros and cons of different types of mortgages.
- An agent will answer all your questions and guide you through the complicated paperwork.
- Mortgage loans are typically available through banks, credit unions, private mortgage companies, and government state lenders.
- Your agent can help connect you with lenders. You can also shop for lenders on your own, making sure you take some time to search around and compare rates. Calling local government agencies can also be a good idea to find out more about programs that might be available to you.
- You might qualify for a federal mortgage program or local home buying assistance program.
- The Federal Housing Administration (FHA) helps home buyers by offering insured loans. This means that if the buyer defaults, the lender will still get their money. Insured loans encourage lenders to work with more buyers regardless of their credit or available down payment.
- Many state and local governments offer additional programs for buyers who meet various criteria or are buying within individual communities.
- The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) also offers many assistance programs to home buyers.
- Earnest money: This is the "security deposit" you pay when you submit your offer to prove to the seller that you are serious. After your offer is accepted, it is applied to your down payment or closing costs.
- Down Payment: This is a percentage of the cost of your home. The amount will depend on your loan; government programs can help you decrease this amount.
- Closing Costs: These are typically low for buyers and represent the fees associated with paperwork and lender charges.
- Other costs can include utilities, HOA or condo fees, and property taxes, which are typically included in your mortgage payment.
- Ask your Realtor about additional fees associated with your particular home, community, or neighborhood.
Still Have Questions?
We can help! Contact us and we can answer any of your home buying questions about homes for sale and real estate in the Winston Salem, Greensboro and the surrounding areas.
Want more information? Learn more about buying a home in the Winston Salem, Greensboro and the surrounding areas!